21 November 2022
Pioneer rail operator SMRT launches Singapore Rail Discovery Centre to inspire and galvanise next generation of rail engineers
1. More than three decades of Singapore’s rail industry achievements and innovations are highlighted at the Singapore Rail Discovery Centre (SRDC), the first-of-its-kind permanent exhibition dedicated to the local MRT network which SMRT Trains, with the support of the Land Transport Authority (LTA), launched today (21 Nov 2022) at Mandai Depot.
2. Minister for Transport S Iswaran was the guest-of-honour at the launch. Recognising the efforts of all stakeholders, such as the Ministry of Transport, LTA and rail operators, SRDC tells the Singapore rail story from its humble beginnings 35 years ago, through its technological advancements, to its current state and beyond.
3. Mr Seah Moon Ming, Chairman, SMRT Corporation, said: “As Singapore’s pioneer rail operator, SMRT’s journey has run on parallel tracks to the Singapore rail story. Through strong partnerships and engagement with all stakeholders, we have become much closer as OneTeam, with full commitment and dedication to serve our present and future generations.”
4. Mr Ngien Hoon Ping, Group Chief Executive Officer, SMRT Corporation, said: “As we commemorate the 35th anniversary of the rail network in Singapore, we want to pay tribute to the hard work and dedication of our colleagues to maintain our rail reliability as best-in-class through the years. With the SRDC, we aim to do more than just evoke a sense of nostalgia in visitors – we want to build the public’s affinity with the rail network, as well as inspire and galvanise the next generation of rail engineers to enhance Singapore’s public transport system and maintain its world-class status.”
5. The SRDC is divided into three zones. “The Journey Begins” introduces visitors to the history of Singapore’s rail system through a series of interactive touchpoints. In “This Is Rail Life”, visitors find out how SMRT staff, who through robust operations knowledge, grounded SOPs and deep engineering, work towards safe and smooth train journeys around the clock. “The Future Of Rail” shows how exciting the future of the rail industry is and the new technologies that SMRT has invested in.
6. The opening of the SRDC is the culmination of a series of events hosted by SMRT to commemorate the 35th anniversary of the start of MRT service in Singapore, when the first revenue train was launched on the North-South Line from Yio Chu Kang to Toa Payoh MRT stations on 7 November 1987.
7. Located within Mandai Depot, the train depot for the new Thomson-East Coast Line, the SRDC is open only to visits by organised groups because the depot is a highly restricted area. Schools and organisations interested in organising visits to the SRDC may write to firstname.lastname@example.org.