18 August 2023
SMRT awarded Jurong West Bus Package, to operate 26 routes in the area from Sep 2024
- Singapore, 18 August 2023 – From September 2024, SMRT Buses will be able to better serve commuters in the Jurong West area. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) announced today (18 Aug) that it had awarded the tender for the Jurong West Bus Package to SMRT Buses.
- As part of the contract, SMRT Buses will operate services along 26 routes in the Jurong West area which includes Boon Lay Bus Interchange, Joo Koon Bus Interchange and Soon Lee Bus Depot.
- The contract duration is five years starting from 1 September 2024 with the option to renew for another one to five years.
- LTA said SMRT Buses was awarded the contract for the Jurong West Bus Package as it demonstrated its strong commitment to inclusive transport by proposing to deploy AI-enabled CCTV system to identify commuters who need help. LTA added that SMRT Buses also plans to leverage its WINK+ application to promote the use of public transport and incentivise commuters to travel during off-peak periods.
- Mr Tan Kian Heong, Managing Director, SMRT Buses, said: “SMRT Buses is honoured to be entrusted by the Land Transport Authority to operate the Jurong West Bus Package. We are fully committed to ensuring a seamless transition for the affected workforce and assets. Our strong focus on the well-being and safety of our commuters and staff, as well as service excellence culture will continue to be the hallmark of the SMRT Buses team as we begin to operate the Jurong West Bus Package.”
- LTA had issued tenders for bus package contracts for Jurong West and Bukit Merah in November 2022 which closed in April this year. The current contract for the Jurong West Bus Package expires in 2024.
- SMRT Buses currently run services on routes for the Choa Chu Kang-Bukit Panjang and Woodlands bus packages including the Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange, Bukit Panjang Bus Interchange, Woodlands Bus Interchange, Kranji Bus Depot, and Woodlands Bus Depot.