11 November 2023
SMRT shares Kaizen savings with ITE, polytechnic students to mark its 36th anniversary
- Singapore, 11 November 2023 – To commemorate its 36th anniversary, SMRT will give specially-designed EZ-Link cards to ITE and polytechnic students in courses relevant to the Public Transport industry. The cards have a value of $36 each and will be distributed to the students this month.
- A total of 22,800 EZ-Link cards worth close to $1 million will be distributed to students from the ITE Colleges, and Nanyang, Ngee Ann, Republic, Singapore and Temasek Polytechnics.
- This initiative is funded by cost savings achieved by SMRT through the Kaizen programme where our workforce takes personal ownership and enhances their daily workflow and methods to achieve greater productivity and safety standards, to complement larger system improvements by SMRT. A portion of these Kaizen savings has been given to the SMRT workforce. This year, we have started to dedicate some Kaizen savings to the community via the distribution of the EZ-Link cards. The cards can be used on all MRT lines and buses.
- Mr Seah Moon Ming, Chairman, SMRT Corporation, said: “Commuters are at the centre of what we do at SMRT. Most students from ITE and the polytechnics rely on public transport for their daily commutes. We would like to share some of our Kaizen savings with the students as a token of our appreciation for their support to SMRT. Many of them may also join our workforce in the future. SMRT has been working towards providing best-in-class standards, such that our efforts ultimately benefit commuters with safe, reliable, and comfortable journeys on our network.”
- These EZ-link cards together with a coffee table book titled “Journeying with You, MySMRT” was also launched today at a multi-purpose hall at Block 710B, Pasir Ris Street 72, where Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Mr Teo Chee Hean, who is also a Member of Parliament for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, was the guest-of-honour. This event also coincided with a tree-planting event at Pasir Ris, participated by Chairman, Board, and senior leadership of SMRT, signifying SMRT’s commitment to serve and contribute to Singapore and Singaporeans.
- Accessible by scanning a QR code, the coffee table book is a collection of specially curated photographs that capture the essence of SMRT’s initiatives in Care, Community, Outreach and Service, and serves as a visual chronicle of the Company’s commitment to making a positive impact on commuters and communities we serve.
- The specially-designed EZ-Link card and coffee table book are the latest commuter-centric efforts by SMRT to enhance commuter experience on our network and to strengthen affinity with communities.
- Earlier this year, SMRT Trains unveiled a slew of initiatives to enhance commuter experience on the North-South Line (NSL), East-West Line (EWL) and the Circle Line (CCL). In July, specially commissioned pianos were placed at Bayfront MRT station on the Circle Line and at the Orchard and Tanjong Pagar MRT stations on the North-South and East-West Lines respectively for members of the public to play for free. An exhibition showcasing photographs taken by migrant workers in Singapore was also held at Bayfront MRT station from 17 July to 23 August.