23 November 2023
Joint LTA-SMRT News Release: Public Transport Emergency Preparedness Exercise at Woodlands MRT station
1. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) and SMRT Trains will conduct Exercise Station Guard, an emergency preparedness exercise, on 30 November 2023, from 10.00am to 4.00pm at Woodlands MRT station (North-South Line and Thomson-East Coast Line).
2. During the Exercise, commuters entering the station nearer to the North-South Line platform will be directed towards the fare gates near Exit 3, while commuters entering nearer to the Thomson-East Coast Line will proceed to the fare gates near Exit 4 for security screening as part of the exercise. Station staff will be present to facilitate entry for commuters on wheelchairs and those with mobility difficulties.
3. Commuters are advised to factor in additional time for the security screening during this period as some may be asked to go through metal detectors for checks and have their belongings scanned by X-ray machines. Those with bulky items may require more time to clear security checks.
About Exercise Station Guard
4. Exercise Station Guard aims to strengthen security in public places and is part of the national SGSecure movement to build resilience in the community against security threats, particularly from terror attacks. Beyond ensuring operational readiness, the Exercise also serves to raise public awareness of the security threats which Singapore faces and familiarise commuters with how they should respond in the event of an emergency on the public transport network.
5. LTA, together with our public transport operators, have been conducting Exercise Station Guard on a regular basis since 2018 to validate our security measures, contingency plans and operational readiness at public transport nodes in the case of heightened security situations.
- END -