Singapore, 21 March 2018
SMRT Seed-funded Start Up, mobilityX, Strengthens Footprint in Urban Transport Solutions
1. mobilityX, an SMRT seed-funded start-up established to integrate a range of transportation options for commuters around the city, is looking to enhance the way people commute in urban areas quickly and safely through strategic partnerships. Travel options range from e-scooters that can be used by individuals to zip around town, to driverless electric-driven pods that move larger numbers of commuters that connects people to MRT and bus networks.
2. mobilityX was incorporated in February 2018 to provide integrated “mobility-as-a-service” (MaaS) solutions to commuters and companies. It is fast tracking its efforts to enhance urban mobility through strategic marketing, payment services and data analytics, and strengthen its capability to serve as a transportation solutions planner.
3. In partnership with the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and JTC, mobilityX has been test-bedding its MaaS solution in the NTU campus and JTC’s Clean Tech Park since August 2017. mobilityX has also launched MaaS projects in a large mixed-use development and a hospital.
4. mobilityX has also collaborated with key players in the mobility industry to provide mobility services and solutions, including Airbike, Continental, Deloitte, Floatility, Mobike , Neuron Mobility, Obike, SWAT mobile, Telepod and 2getthere Asia, to offer commuters various urban mobility options through an integrated platform.
5. mobilityX’s advisory panel includes Lee Kheng Nam, Deputy Chairman, Vertex, Mr Jonas Eichhorst, Partner, Ahurani Capital, and Professor Ben Leong, NUS School of Computing.
6. The Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB) has been supporting mobilityX in the development and scale-up of its business. This is part of the EDB’s efforts to step up support for large local enterprises in the creation of new businesses that are complementary, adjacent or even disruptive.
mobilityX and SMRT
7. Mr Desmond Kuek, SMRT President and Group CEO, said: “New technologies and business models are reshaping the transportation experience of commuters in Singapore and around the world. In line with SMRT’s vision of ‘Moving People, Enhancing Lives’, SMRT recognises the opportunity and value that Mobility-as-a-Service can bring to commuters’ end-to-end experience through its investment into capabilities under mobilityX.”
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between mobilityX and Singtel
8. The MOU between mobilityX and Singtel was signed on 20 March 2018.
9. Through this collaboration, DataSpark, Singtel’s advanced analytics arm, and mobilityX will explore the use of data analytics to support MaaS solutions in Singapore. Singtel International will also explore with mobilityX the integration of Singtel’s mobile payments platform with mobilityX’s MaaS app to support customer payment and/or check-out services through mobile wallet and direct carrier billing.
10. Mr Ying Shaowei, Chief Operating Officer of DataSpark, said, “As a mobility intelligence company, we believe technology can be a key enabler to transform the future of urban mobility. With our expertise in advanced analytics and regional footprint, our collaboration with mobilityX will contribute to smart city initiatives that enhance the commuting experience.”
MOU between mobilityX and CapitaLand
11. The MOU between mobilityX and CapitaLand was signed on 20 March 2018 by Mr Colin Lim, CEO of mobilityX and Mr Simon Yong, Chief Development Officer, Asia of CapitaLand Limited.
12. mobilityX and CapitaLand will jointly explore urban solutions for real estate in Singapore and the region.
13. Mr Simon Yong, Chief Development Officer, Asia, CapitaLand Limited, said: “At CapitaLand, we are constantly looking at ways to leverage technology and strategic partnerships to come up with new offerings for our customers.We hope this collaboration with mobilityX will lead to innovative solutions that will empower our customers and enhance their lives.”
14. Mr Colin Lim, CEO of mobilityX, said: “The transportation sector is being disrupted today - we want to be at the forefront of providing innovative solutions to enhance the commuter experience. We are delighted to partner Singtel and CapitaLand in promoting and implementing MaaS solutions in Singapore and the region. This is a significant milestone for us, and speaks to the confidence of these leading companies in new mobility solutions and in mobilityX.”
 Mobility as a Service (MaaS) is the integration of various forms of transport services into a single mobility service accessible on demand ... For its users, MaaS should be the best value proposition, by helping them meet their mobility needs and solve the inconvenient parts of individual journeys as well as the entire system of mobility services ... The aim of MaaS is to provide an alternative to the use of the private car that may be as convenient, more sustainable, help to reduce congestion and constraints in transport capacity, and can be even cheaper. (source: www.maas-alliance.eu)