20 April 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SMRT Services and 2getthere form a joint venture to bring Automated Vehicles to the Asia-Pacific
1. SMRT Services Pte. Ltd. (SMRT Services) and 2 Getthere Holding B.V. (2getthere) today announced a Joint Venture (JV) to market, supply and operate 2getthere’s Automated Vehicle systems in the Asia-Pacific region. In anticipation of the growing demand in the Asia-Pacific region for Automated Vehicles, SMRT Services and 2getthere are also working to deepen our strategic relationship with the view to better support the latter’s development and growth.
2. The agreement was jointly announced by Colin Lim, Managing Director, SMRT Services, and Carel van Helsdingen, Chairman and founder of 2getthere. A replica of the Automated Vehicle was unveiled in the presence of Jacques Werner, Dutch Ambassador to Singapore, and Desmond Kuek, President and Group Chief Executive Officer, SMRT Corporation Ltd.
3. The new Singapore-based JV, called 2getthere Asia Pte Ltd will market, install, operate and maintain the Automated Vehicle systems for customers in Singapore and the Asia-Pacific. The JV aims to showcase 2getthere’s 3rd Generation Group Rapid Transit (GRT) vehicle capabilities in Singapore by the end of the year. This showcase will highlight the vehicle’s enhanced and new features.
4. 2getthere’s vehicles are unique in being able to operate autonomously in demanding weather conditions, using artificial landmarks for navigation. The 3rd generation GRT vehicles are able to carry up to 24 passengers each, and can operate as a low-cost automated transit system that can cater for up to 8,000 passengers per hour in any single direction. Additionally, 2getthere is also incrementally shifting to mixed-use traffic operations through active participation in several research programmes worldwide. 2getthere Asia will pursue both automated and mixed-use transit projects in Singapore and the region.
5. Carel van Helsdingen said, “We are delighted to join forces with SMRT Services to further market 2getthere’s proven systems in the Asia-Pacific region, a high-growth sector for innovative transport technologies in the coming years. Building on decades of technological development and experience gathered through projects implemented worldwide, our innovative technology will be able to optimise the efficiency, reliability and safety of transport networks.”
6. Colin Lim said, “There is a growing national push to implement future mobility solutions that can meet our first and last-mile connectivity needs in Singapore. As part of the JV, SMRT Services will leverage on our experience in installation, operations and maintenance of transit systems to realise these solutions locally. The Automated Vehicles will complement our existing multi-modal transport operations to bring about seamless connectivity for commuters”.
7. The signing of this agreement establishes 2getthere Asia as a strong regional player in the Automated Vehicles industry. For SMRT Services, this partnership forms part of its larger strategy to widen its transport capabilities through investments in innovative technologies.