1. SMRT Corporation Ltd will offer free travel on board all its bus and train services on National Day (9 August 2015). Free travel will take effect on Sunday, 9 August 2015, from the start of service to the end of operation. SMRT’s rail network includes services on the North-South East-West Lines, Circle Line and the Bukit Panjang LRT. Connections between rail lines operated by the two Public Transport Operators will also be free. Commuters taking SMRT trunk and feeder bus services, as well as SMRT’s Night Rider, can board any bus free of charge.
2. The free travel offered by SMRT on Singapore’s 50th birthday will encourage people to attend National Day celebrations island-wide. Fare gates at MRT stations on the North-South East-West Line, Circle Line and Bukit Panjang LRT stations will be left open on National Day as SMRT welcomes commuters to travel on its train network. Commuters need not tap in or out at all MRT stations on National Day.
3. Commuters travelling on SMRT buses can board all bus services without tapping in with their fare cards.
4. As Singapore celebrates its 50th birthday, SMRT will make National Day special with activities at 10 MRT stations and five bus interchanges. SMRT management and staff will greet commuters and give out limited edition SG50 buttons and SG50 EZ-Link card stickers. Photo walls will be set up where commuters and their families and friends can take memorable photos. A photo competition will also be run where commuters can win limited edition SMRT SG50 EZ-Link cards. These activities will help welcome commuters travelling on SMRT’s train and bus network on National Day. Please refer to the Annex for more details.
5. Mr Desmond Kuek, President and Group Chief Executive Officer, SMRT Corporation Ltd, said: “SMRT staff at our train stations, bus interchanges and aboard our trains and buses look forward to meeting you as we roll out free travel across our bus and train network on National Day. With SG50 celebrations taking place island-wide, we would like people to come travel with us as we bring them around Singapore to see, experience and enjoy celebrations held to mark Singapore’s 50th birthday. Our most meaningful contribution to the people of Singapore is a safe, reliable and customer-centric transport service that will carry Singapore forward for years to come. This we are determined to deliver as we renew our rail infrastructure and continue to enhance our service touchpoints, setting our sights on the future with a transport network that Singaporeans are proud of. On behalf of Team SMRT, we wish the people of Singapore a Happy National Day!”
SG50 souvenirs will be available on National Day at City Hall, Raffles Place, Bayfront, Promenade, Esplanade, Orchard, Stadium, Jurong East, Tampines and Ang Mo Kio MRT Stations. The bus interchanges involved are Bukit Batok Bus Interchange, Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange, Sembawang Bus Interchange, Woodlands Bus Interchange and Yishun Bus Interchange.