The following is a list of features that make it easy for the elderly and persons with disabilities to travel by bus.
To assist visually impaired commuters:
- Bus interchanges have tactile ground surface indicators to guide visually impaired commuters.
- Guide dogs are allowed on buses, but must be at the handler's side at all times.
- Do not hesitate to approach our staff for assistance
A pictorial example of a guide dog with his handler
(Photo credits: Life with Pets Photography, and Guide Dogs Singapore Ltd)
To assist commuters in wheelchairs:
- There are 58 Wheelchair Accessible Bus (WAB) services: 61, 67, 75, 167, 169, 171, 172, 176, 178, 187, 188, 190, 301, 302, 307, 700, 800, 803, 804, 805, 811, 812, 851, 852, 853, 854, 855, 857, 858, 859, 860, 882, 901, 902, 903, 904, 911, 912, 913, 920, 922, 925, 927, 950, 960, 961, 962, 963, 965, 966, 969, 970, 972, 979, 980, 981, 983, and 985. If you are unsure, look for a blue decal of a passenger-in-wheelchair displayed at the front of the bus. Only designated WABs can ferry wheelchair bound passengers.
- Choa Chu Kang, Woodlands and Yishun interchanges have special WAB boarding berths with ramps, guard rails, directional and indicative signs, and staff assistance call buttons for commuters in wheelchairs.
- Woodlands interchange is a multi-level interchange. There are elevators that serve both levels of the Interchange and the train station as well.
- Wheelchair accessible toilets are available in all bus interchanges.
- Our Bus Captains are trained to provide assistance to passengers-in-wheelchair when needed. They can operate the ramps on the WABs for boarding and alighting.
- When alighting from WABs, passengers-in-wheelchair should press the blue button to alert our Bus Captain.
For the convenience of pregnant, elderly or young passengers:
- There are designated priority seats (dressed in a different colour) near the doors in all buses.
- Our buses have full low floor right through to the rear, low steps at the entrance and exit, and full side kneeling capability, all of which allow passengers with limited mobility to board and move to the back of the bus easily and swiftly.