15 October 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Power faults on North-South, East-West lines and
Circle Line on 14 October
- We are sorry for the disruption to service on the North-South, East-West lines (Woodlands to Jurong East and Queenstown to Gul Circle) and Circle Line (Harbourfront to Serangoon) during peak-hour traffic last evening (14 October).
- From preliminary findings, there was a breakdown of insulation of a power cable between Tuas Link and Tuas West Road stations. A circuit breaker at Tuas West Road station should have kicked in to isolate the fault, but it did not, resulting in the NSEWL power system to trip.
- To restore power to the NSEWL, there was an attempt to draw power from Buona Vista Intake substation (BVI). However, this was done without first isolating the fault, resulting in a power supply disruption to CCL as BVI also serves CCL.
- The insulation fault has been identified and isolated and the faulty component of the circuit breaker has been replaced. Train services are running normally today.
- We are working with LTA to conduct a full investigation into the premature failure of these components, together with the original equipment manufacturers who supplied the parts.