1. In light of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) situation, SMRT is working closely with the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and National Taxi Association (NTA) to safeguard the health of our taxi partners and passengers.
2. Since late January 2020, SMRT has been distributing care packages to our taxi partners. To date, more than 1,400 care packages have been collected, and we are constantly encouraging the rest to do so.
3. Each care package includes a pack of 10 surgical masks, a bottle of hand sanitiser, and a bottle of disinfectant. We have ordered more stocks for a second round of distribution of the care packages to our taxi partners.
4. SMRT will facilitate the temperature screening exercise for our taxi partners. From today, 11 Feb 2020, temperature screening stations have been set up at a designated SMRT premise. Taxi drivers are advised to visit the station to get their temperatures checked twice a day, once before commencing work, and another during the course of the day. If they do not have a fever, they will receive a sticker for the day to display on their left shirt sleeve. Drivers who feel unwell have been advised to stop driving and seek medical attention immediately.
5. SMRT will provide financial aid from its Helping Hand Fund to provide care and support to taxi partners should they be affected in the current situation by a leave of absence, quarantine order or the illness. The fund was established in 2015 to help taxi partners in need, including long-term medical care for a driver’s family member under certain circumstances.
6. As announced earlier, SMRT will also waive rental fees for our taxi partners should they be placed under quarantine by the Ministry of Health.
7. Mr Neo Kian Hong, Group Chief Executive Officer, SMRT Corporation, said: “SMRT is ready to implement the measures announced by the LTA and NTA. We have also been providing masks, hand sanitisers and disinfectants for all our taxi partners. By regularly using disinfectants to wipe down their taxi interior and
sanitisers to clean their hands, taxi partners can better care for themselves and their passengers. We stand together with our taxi partners as they continue to provide point-to-point journeys to the public.”
SMRT Corporate Communications
About SMRT Corporation Ltd
SMRT Corporation Ltd (SMRT) is a public transport service provider. Our primary business is to manage and operate train services on the North-South Line, East-West Line, the Circle Line, the Thomson-East Coast Line (operational in 2019) and the Bukit Panjang Light Rail Transit. This is complemented by our bus, taxi and private hire vehicle services.
We have set our core values to be Integrity, Safety and Service, and Excellence, and commit SMRT to providing safe, reliable and comfortable service for our commuters.